Rexie and Rexcat

Rexie and Rexcat
Rexie and Rexcat standing in front of the monastery at Montserrat

Friday, October 26, 2012

The first time we tried to go to Bondi Beach, we made it as far as Bondi Junction by train. We got off to eat and found it entirely too cold for us. I was in shorts and neither one of us had brought our jackets. In Bondi Junction they have closed down a street and made it for pedestrians only.

We went back to the hotel and decided to call the day off.




Two days later we went back to Bondi Beach using the Hop On, Hop Off bus. Being a double decker, we sat up top to get the full affect. By the way, it had warmed up nicely.




Here is Bondi Beach. The beach was made when the side of a volcano eroded and the beach took on a semicircular shape. While there may be more beautiful beaches around Sydney, this beach had a tram to it in the early days that allowed local residents a chance to get to a beach fairly easy. Thus, its reputation.




It is a weekday and the end of spring and the place is crowded. Can you image if it was a weekend and in summer? There “boardwalk” is actually paving stones.




We ate an open air restaurant. I don’t know about the rest of Australia, but Sydney residents love their open air restaurants and “take away”. That is what they call take out here. I am not sure how I got Rexie to eat here, but we didn't have any trouble with the birds.




Here is another shot of the beach. Here you can see a little bit better the  semicircle shape.




As we head out of Bondi Beach, we come across an old walkway that they used to allow the beach goers to walk over the traffic. Today, there is too much traffic and they allow the crowds to get to the beach with traffic lights.




As we head back to the hotel, I found a shot of this interesting building. Looks like something that would have been built in New York.




I have talked about taxis before, but take a look at this Ford taxi. Is this a mustang? I don’t think so, but couldn’t tell for sure. My grandson can probably straighten me out just looking at the picture.




Another interesting building…




And before we get off the bus we see an interesting official government building. Very ornate.




So, our trip to Bondi Beach is over. I would like to tell you that the only thing we can remember Bondi Beach with is the pictures. Unfortunately, I my face is beat red. I have got a sunburn that won’t stop. Trust me when I say I’ll remember Bondi Beach for a long time.

I must be off! (and sunburned)

No comments: