Rexie and Rexcat

Rexie and Rexcat
Rexie and Rexcat standing in front of the monastery at Montserrat

Monday, October 22, 2012


Our third day in Sydney took us back to Paddy’s Market near Chinatown to get our new luggage. We had seen signs for restaurants above the market and as we took the elevator to the third floor, we realized that above the ground floor market was a modern mall. It was quite unexpected.




On the third floor was the food court. It was very different from the food courts in the US. In the US, you would find many different types of food. In this food court, everything was either Chinese or Thai food. I guess if you were into Chinese food, each food vendor was probably quite different from each other. To me, it all looked like Chinese food to me.




As we are sitting their eating our meal, we realize that a food demonstration is to be given shortly. The Chef is Charlie Yan (this is his real name) and a local radio announcer is doing the commentary.




Apparently, Charlie Yan is a famous chef known for his food carvings. These fish and lobster were carved out of carrots. Unbelievable.




Then I notice the carvings he has made out of watermelon. Aren’t these amazing? I thought to myself that I could do that… only if I had a little artistic talent.




We stop on the second floor and found this life-size Kuala.



We left Paddy’s Market with our luggage and made our way back to the hotel. However, we decided that the day was still young and we had places to go. Tomorrow, we are going to the Sydney Opera House to watch Madame Butterfly. So, I thought it would be a good idea to take a trip to that area so we would have a better idea where we are going tomorrow.

As we are standing waiting on our subway to pull into the station, I look across and find a poster advertising Carnival. How ironic.



We get to the area known as Circular Quay. This is a major point where ferries, trains, and buses all meet.




As we step out of the station, the Carnival Spirit is sitting there in all her glory.




Not really having any destination other than here, we see a ferry that is about to leave. We hurry on it, not having any idea where it is going. We figured we could always ride it back to here. At least that is the idea.
As we are sitting on the ferry, I am taking pictures of the area. I then I spot something on the tall building on the left.



I have found two people repelling down the side of the building. I guess the Sydney Harbor Bridge was enough excitement for them.



As we are leaving the wharf, we pass right by the Sydney Opera House. Your eyes are drawn to it… We found out the other day that when the Opera House was built, they almost tarred and feathered the designer and run him out on a rail.

Today however, they will fight anyone if it is suggested that the Opera House be torn down. Funny isn't it, how things change over time.




Not knowing where we were heading, the ferry turns to go under the bridge. Here is what it looks like from below it.




Our first stop is the Luna Park. They have ferries stopping here every 15-30 minutes throughout the day.




We continue our adventure and I found a perfect shot of the Opera House underneath the bridge.




The way we are going is in the direction of Darling Harbor, another gathering spot for locals and tourists.




It was not to be as we continued deeper into the harbor, making stops every so often.




We find that we are going by residential areas. The apartments and houses near the shore have a wonderful view of the harbor. Our last stop was Balmain. Then we started back.




As we get near the bridge, we get a one in a hundred shot of the Carnival Spirit’s aft leaving the harbor with the Bridge framing it. Notice the old Windjammer under sail on the left.




As we come into the wharf, I took this shot of buildings being reflected in the glass building in front of us. Pretty neat…




We next wander toward the Rocks, an old section of Sydney that is near Circular Key.  I found this T-shirt on our way.




But the bottom part tells it all. Take this to heart my sons!




We found some native Australians playing their music. Notice the didgeridoo being played.




As we get to the Rocks, the alleys are all paving stones. It is an old section of town.




Not exactly sure what this is, but someone put a number of lamp shades across this alley like it was laundry put out to dry.




We found a small company making candy and cutting it into pieces by hand.




They have restaurants tucked into back alleys.




And of course, an old police station is on George Street in the Rocks.




This is the type of signage we found on George Street. Just like out of the 19th Century.



And thus, we ended our third day in Sydney.

I must be off!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I'm looking forward for your next post, I'll try to get the hang of it!